Friday, August 15, 2008

Cycles that Start With V

It's that time of year again. Time to start thinking about next year. I still have 4 more MTB races (Iron Hill 4hr tomorrow, Shenandoah 100 in two weeks, Terror of Teaberry two weeks later, and Bear Creek two weeks after that) to fly through, but I am starting to think about my next adventure. I'm going to attempt a full season of cyclocross this winter. I'm on a team, which shall remain nameless until further notice. I'm getting a cross bike. It is from a manufacturer that starts with a V. It will also remain nameless (unless you guess that is).

The second adventure in store for this winter is my temporary revocation (is that a word???) of my citizenship in Gearsland and my perminant revocation of my citizenship in Small-Wheels-Land. To make a long story short, to buy the aforementioned cross bike I need to sell my Intense, which has been oh so good to me, at the end of the racing season. I will need a mtb for the winter. Easiest, cheapest, and best solution: 29er singlespeed. From another manufacturer that starts with a V. This one even has a classic literary connection. I will soon be aquiring a Vassago Jabberwocky. It's steel, it's rigid, it only has one gear, and it makes me super excited for riding this winter. Thus begins my quest to relearn how to ride a bike in preperation for next season where it looks like I'll be riding some form of 29er hardtail (with gears). So that's fun...

In other news, this is the last day of my job/internship with the PennDOT Materials and Testing Lab, Concrete/Petrographics Section. I'm torn with how to feel about this. On one hand, I'm free of obligations to the state and getting up early. On the other hand, I loose a source of income which has supported me all summer, even with my racing addiction. On the third hand (huh?) it means I have to go back to school soon, which poses a whole other set of problems. Ah well, a bunch of us went out for a few beers at the Appalachian Brewing Company (which is right down the street) after work yesterday, so I had a nice little send off, nothing too ridiculous though. I am ready to be out of here though; this is not a job I will probably be coming back too, not my kind of geology, and not enough of it at that. It was fun though...

I suppose I should go see if I actually have any work left to do today...

2 comments:

Madison said...

is it ventanna or something like that (i probably spelled it wrong)

Jake said...

nope... good guess though