Thursday, November 27, 2008

A race... a ride... and some turkey

In that order yes.  Last weekend was, as I previously said, Whitmore's Super Cross.  You heard about saturday, and sunday went pretty much the same.  Raced, ended race in a sprint.  This one, though, I lost (maybe) by about two tires.  I caught the guy on the road at the end, and rode his wheel untl the finishing straight, then attempted the tactical sprint win.  I couldn't really tell who won the sprint exactly, but I think the results said I might have one.  Too bad I have no idea who I was sprinting against so I can't really check the results... anyway...
The sprint... too bad it's not zoomed properly

That's basically what happenned.  Zach and I then drove back to Carlisle (5.5hrs).  Between driving from Slippery Rock to Carlisle, then Carlisle to Montauk, NY, then around the area and back he racked up 980mi for the weekend.  Pretty horribly impressive if you ask me.

Spent the rest of the week trying to get my Clemson Island stuff wrapped up.  Clemson Island is the location of the final project for Field Geology.  It's pretty impressive.  There are lots of cool faults and folds.  The entire project would be a lot cooler if the entire outcrop was not crappy sandstone and siltstone.  Booooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg!!!!! Sedimentary rocks are no fun at all...

Clemson Island prevented me from leaving for break after my classes were over on tuesday.  Went back out on Wednesday and took my last measurements and samples.  Yeah.  It's done though and that's what's important.  Today though, it was all made better by a ride.  As usual.  I took Juni (the singlespeed) out for a spin around Brandywine Creek SP.  Rode the trails I learned to ride on.  It was only about an hour, but a good spin nonetheless.  I found some interesting rocks there.  I believe that they are a blueschist.  The rocks are really cool because some of them are of a metamorphic grade high enough to have large augen garnet porphoroblasts.  Very not boring.  Very nice in fact.

Then I drank Jinx, ate turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and all the regular Thanksgiving fare.  And not I sit here, slighly fat and happy watching a movie.  Not a better day could have existed.

1 comment:

brett said...

speaking of updating . . .