Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hoo Hoo Hoo HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Virginia is always a great place to ride a bike.  Their trails are world-class, and the people there are great.  The Massanutten Hoo-Ha, near Harrisonburg is one of the best race courses in all of mountain bike racing.  It is a true mountain bikers race course; long climbs, rocks, technical singletrack, and ripping fast descents.  Even though I had such an aweful race last year (I definitely finished last... literally), I wanted to come back because the course as so great.

This year, the Hoo-Ha was part of the US Cup Triple Crown, a new thing that promised big money for the overall winners.  But to get that money, you had to prove your metal at three different locations in three different disciplines, Super D, Short Track, and regular old XC.  I didn't bother with the Super D or STXC (even though its my favorite) so I could concentrate on the XC.  It was a good race.  I started strong, rode a strong middle section, and finished strong and at my absolute limit.  Finished 3rd in the Cat. 1 19-29.  Unfortunately I did not stay for awards, because we had a long drive back and it was going to be an undetermined amount of time before the awards began due to some results issues caused by some idiots who don't know that you can't walk near a chip timing system wearing your chip once you have finished your race.  I hate idiots.  So now I have to negotiate for my medal and prize or whatever.  Anyway... here's some pictures and video taken with my fancy new Droid Eris.

Francis Scott Key Memorial Bridge in Charm City, not DC

Kids watching movies

Huge frikin spider/traveling companion in the back of the truck. At about 2.5 - 3 in across, making it probably the biggest spider I've ever seen outside of the zoo.

This should never, ever, ever, EVER exist... ever

Perfect trails

Perfect views

Next, I'm off to the all important Marysville Stage Race and Festival for some 8hr long solo silliness.  You should come too.  And speaking of coming...

It's the best of Michaux, squeezed into one great day of racing!

No comments: