Monday, April 11, 2011

Mid-Atlantic Monuments

Fair Hill XC is a Monument.  At least around here.  Like the Marysville Relay, Greenbriar, and Granogue.  Classic bike races that should be on everyone's calender every year. I didn't race last year (some college-related musical commitment I believe... psh) so this was my first time rolling with the Elite Field.  It's been a while since I've experienced Spit-Out-The-Backitis (probably since the U23 Elite race at Kansas City CX Nats).  I got a very good taste of it on Sunday.  Second row start (same as CX Nats)

Where am I?
But got spit straight out the back at the start.  I definitely don't have the snap I need to hang with guys like that at the start.  Normally I would make the excuse that these guys train for short XC events, but 4 of the top 5 guys will be throwing down hard at NUE races this year.  I think this start may have been faster than some 'cross starts I've been a part of.

Zero to what??? in 10 seconds
Rest of the race went pretty well.  Entered the singletrack behind Madison, passed him, rode in no mans land on the climb.  There was a huge group right in front of me, but I couldn't seem to grab hold of them. Got caught by the Madison group again.  Destroyed some people on the gravel road starting lap two, Yada yada...

Bike Racing Ensued...
I felt super-human on anything uphill, but it took me a lap to get my flow on the downhills together.  I guess I stiffened up with racing nerves or something, because I couldn't keep off my brakes and I had to think about leaning my bike over in the admittedly slick corners.  That was the worst part of my race.  My third lap was fun, pretty much alone the entire time because I managed to catch a guy who was cornering slower than I was in the slick tight Fair Hill-ness, so I could put enough gap into him on descents that I could extend it on the climbs.  Rolled across the finish in 1:43:35 with 3 very consistent laps.  Good enough for 24th place.  I'm going to have to work hard if I want to see the top 15.  Being able to make enough money to cover gas or maybe lunch would be cool.

The new bike performed fantastically in its first real racing test.  Having my race wheels on there drops almost 2 lbs off the bike and made it really fast.  The rear end is much stiffer than anything else I've ridden thanks to the 142x12mm through axle.  Picked up some super-bling XX brake rotors to keep the weight down.  New Ergon GS-2 grips are much better than the GX's that I was running last year.  Thanks Ergon!  I'm proud to say you'll be keeping my hands happy for another year.  And thanks to all my  C3 teammates that were out there cheering.  Heading up to Danville, PA for some more XC racing next weekend and the first real test of my climbing legs. Mmmmmmm climbing...

Best Scotty face ever!

End

No comments: