Monday, October 31, 2011

This Race Made Possible in Part by Tom Mackay

HPCX.  I almost wasn't going to race this weekend.  Saturday night Ms. Geology helped throw an engagement party for a friend of ours that I had to attend, which meant no Beacon Cross for me.  Unfortunate; it looks like I missed a true hard man's 'cross race.

HPCX was good though.  I figured, I race at 3:45PM, why not go?  I knew I was in for a muddy mess, which suits me fine.  Tom Mackay, the gracious man that he is, offered to let me use the wheels off his pit bike for my race, after Fatmarc returned from his race and declared the Fangos a complete failure for the conditions out on the course.  Quite frankly, that both saved and destroyed my race.  In the time it took me to get his wheels on my bike, I managed to miss the start by about 15 seconds.  But the tires gave me enough amazing grip to work up through the pack rather quickly.  Except when running was involved, because I suck at running.  Unfortunately, my late start meant that I got 80% rule'd and pulled even before the leader lapped me.  Like well before.  I stood around at the finish line for at least a minute before he finished.  They've never done this before in a MAC B race that I have raced.  People will start to get pissy if the officials start doing this for the B race because the only reason I can think that they are doing it is that they want to get home earlier.  I find that unacceptable, but I'm just one of the fifty or so mid-pack B races so what do I matter?  Anyway, end rant.

I had a great time, and I might even race a MABRA race in a few weekends.

Final thought... I wonder how many people are considering upgrading and racing the Elite race just so they don't have to wait until 3:45 to race?  I know I am...

No comments: