Monday, January 19, 2015

The First Week in Trianing

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Last week I pedaled a bicycle for six consecutive days. This is more than I have done probably since we moved out to Colorado, approximately 1.5 years ago. I didn't do any hard efforts other than my field test on Friday, so my legs aren't that sore; they do reflect the effort I have put in over the last week, though. Especially yesterday's 2x20s. 2x20s are more or less the foundation needed for all types of endurance racing, so while they are not the easiest intervals to do, they are necessary. I don't have many pictures from the week, and those that I took I already shared on some social media, so I won't bother posting them. Let's just say that it was 68F yesterday when I started my ride, and averaged 58F over the almost three hours I was out. Riding in shorts and short sleeves is one of the privileges of living on the Front Range. Everyone thinks that winters here are horrid, but they're really not; there will be a handful more days like today before we transition to spring weather. Plus, even when it's cold down here (up in the mountains is another story), it's not that cold. The low humidity means that even on the coldest days I rarely break out my full winter gear. I usually have stuff with me, but I may only put it on for the longest descent.

After riding Saturday morning, Mrs. Geology and I set out for a night away. We had bought a deal online for what we thought was two nights (it turned out to be only one) at the Claremont Inn in Stratton, CO. Eastern Colorado isn't the most exciting place, it's very flat, and the elevation drops off rather quickly until you hit Kansas, but it does have this place, so it's got that going for it. We enjoyed a wine tasting with very liberal quantities of wine, a fantastic dinner and breakfast the next morning.

I'm looking forward to more riding and training this week. I have a lot of work to do before I take the start of the True Grit Epic 100 in March.

Laters.

No comments: