Friday, October 17, 2008

All Good Things... (Part II)

In the tradition of semi-obscure Star Trek quotations, I continue my updates on my life in the last month. The next major thing is the Fe Cross (those of you that know your periodic table and cyclocross racing should be laughing right now). The Fe Cross is held over two days: day one (Saturday 10/11) is the Fe Cross Lite, your standard length cross races featuring the famed spiral of death, which is more fun than it's name sounds. Day two is the actual Fe Cross, a 100km point to point cyclocross race which covers roads, mostly dirt, and singletrack within Michaux State Forest. At the behest of Coach Zach, I did not race Sunday's Fe Cross because I have done so many long races this year. I'm glad he said that. I need to be focusing on regular length cross anyway.

So Friday I helped The Legend and Kuhn set up the IC Lite course. We had it up pretty quick and then hit the trail for a late afternoon ride with Kuhn, Zach and Chris. It was fast and good. Then I went to bed.

Next morning I work up earlyish and headed back to Camp T for the C mens IC Lite race. When I got there Zach chastised me for racing C's, so Zach and El Bretto decided by vote that I could do the B race for free since I helped set up the course. So the C race...

Small field, only about 25-30 riders. I had a crappy start as usual (note to self, work on starts). I found myself in about 7th or 8th and started picking through the riders until I was in 2nd. The leader, some kid named Daniel from NY, had gotten the hole shot and was still in the lead. I worked on realing him in, but it was to no avail. He stayed out for the win, and I had myself a nice gap on 3rd. And that was my first 'cross race.

The B race didn't go as well. They were faster. I didn't have fresh legs. Running uphil without fresh legs hurts me. The same Daniel kid won the race (sandbagger...). I ended up 15th. Not bad I guess. Some pictures:


B race, down the big descent


B race, over the barriers

To be continued...


1 comment:

brett said...

yay! something to read!