Tuesday, November 4, 2008

HiRISE

So our semi-weekly-ish geology department seminar today was awesome and I thought I should tell everyone about it.  We got to listen to a talk from a lady from Temple U.  who is part of NASA's HiRISE project.  That's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment.  It's basically a huge camera on the MRO (Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter) which is cabable of taking photographs of the martian surface at ultra-high resolution.  Max resolution is somethin on the order of 30cm/pixel.  If it were pointed through your window it could easily resolve you sitting at your desk reading my blog.  Yeah... way fuckin cool.  She had images of the martian surface where the easily resolved the Opportunity rover, as well as the landing of the Pheonix rover.  Like I said way fuckin cool.  I would post pics here but they are way too high res for google's photo-handler to deal with.  So I will post up the link  The HiRISE website can be found here.  For those of you who are link deficient:


Visit it.  Download the images as wall papers.  Bask in awesome exogeologic glory!

No comments: