Monday, July 27, 2009

ER sampling

Nationals in Colorado went fairly well. 13th in the XC and 11th in the STXC. Both courses were fun and stupid hard. The short track was basically a mini xc, just climb, descend, and repeat over and over. Attacking up that climb to grab one more place was just about the hardest thing I have done on a bike.

Watching the Pro Men's and Women's short track races was amazing. Georgia Gould just walked away with the win in the Women's race. The men's race, though was much more hotly contested. Wells and JHK put on a good show until Adam Craig took them to grade school and taught them how to ride their bikes. An attack from 5th or 6th position to win the race? Phenomenal. Good job to Adam.

The drive home was just about as interesting as well. Just before we were about to leave I started reacting to some peanut butter that contaminated the jelly that I put on my bagel for breakfast. Zach's GPS directed us to the ER in Granby, where they hooked me up to the usual IV and gave me some steroid that set me straight. Then off to driving. Time we planned on leaving: 8:00AM. Time we actually left the Fraser Valley: 12:30PM.

About half way through Kansas we hit the mother of all thunderstorms. We pulled off for gas and dinner and were greeted by tornado warnings from the National Weather Service over the radio at the Subway. We grabbed a hotel for the night. Next morning, up and driving home. Arrived back in Carlisle at about 2:00AM.

Next day we went down to Brett's for our first ride back in PA. It was raining. I messed myself up. Slid my rear wheel out on a log, planted my face firmly on a mossy rock, gouged my knee through a sharp pointy rock. So one visit to the Carlisle Regional Medical Center ER and 5 stitches later I'm sitting in West Chester teaching my own mountain biking camp. I can ride again. That's all I care about.

2 comments:

brett said...

And here we were worried about your chin...

Jake said...

Chin is more annoying because it's keeping me from removing the animal growing on my face... it's much to hot for beards now...