Saturday, August 28, 2010

Rattle and Hum

I suppose it's good to make big changes in one's life every once and a while.  I think I've made the biggest change yet in the last few weeks.  No, I didn't get a sex change; I just got a job.  A big one.  Not big as in 75k per year salary big.  Big as in it's currently Saturday 5:40AM and I am up to go to work.  I have already worked at least 45 hrs this week.  I don't know how long I'll be working today.  I'm not riding as much anymore because I simply don't have the time.  Most nights I'm not home until 6:00PM, and I really don't have the energy to go out and ride for 2 or 3 hrs.  I may put an hour of hard effort in, but that's it really.  So there goes the cross season, right?  I'm hoping not to have to give up racing. My work will get lighter as the year progresses.  In the winter I may not be working at all.  I'll probably be adopting the Vegan Rob training plan.  As for now, I'm riding when I can, and trying to get parts to build up my cross bike so I can hop in on some road rides.

I am still racing, though.  Last weekend I hit up the Rattling Creek 50.  It was fun.  Those trails rock.  It was nice to see people.  I'm not super pleased with my time (5:33), but I had a good time ripping those trails.  Next weekend I will not be working Saturday, but driving down to Stokesville, VA for the Shenandoah Mountain 100.  That is the funness.  Lets just hope my lack of riding recently hasn't put me in a huge hole; one that I can't crawl out of after 60 miles in the VA mountains.

Oh, and if you go to the Dickinson Website and refresh it a few times, you should come up with a picture of me and Zach.  Interesting stuff.

3 comments:

themattmillerexperience said...

a couple rides a week will have you rolling uber fast. just don't add in the stress of frettin' about it

Anonymous said...

A lesson on how the old guys become slow. A job will slow you down, a girl will keep you off the trails, and eventually a child will drive the nail in the coffin. It's all worth it in the end.
You may want to start commuting to work.

Jake said...

I would love to commute to work, but I need to have my car to work, and I don't feel great about getting up at 4 AM to get there by bike.